Monday, February 27, 2006

 

This really irritated me...

...it's a post from a right-winger who takes issue with the Church's removal of investment from the company that makes the bulldozers that the IDF use to bulldoze Palestinian homes. Read it here. My post on the subject is here. The C of E is always, and I mean always wittering about diversity in all things. Having abandoned 99% of its faith's actual tenets in pursuit of it, there is however a last 1% that I personally would love to see go the way of the rest. Oh please. Which tenants would that be please? The 39 articles? Not that they are tenents as such, but they are quite near, how about 'upholding the catholic (note small 'c' to the more protestant wings of the church) faith', which the Athanasian creed states is to worship the Trinity. Lets have a look at that shall we? Well, I for one can't see any arianism going on in the Church today, so that seems fine. Ok, how about as Richard Hooker says, the 'three-legged stool' of Tradition, Reason and Scripture, with the different wings of the Church placing more emphasis on one 'leg' or another, but still getting along just about fine. How about this? If the writer of the original post feels that these three legs have been worn down to small stumps, leaving nothing, then he must be sorely mistaken. That 1% is the identity of the ArchBishop of Canterbury. I presume from this line that the writer means Rowan Williams, as he is, well, the Archbishop of Canterbury. I was blessed with having Rowan as my diocean bishop for a number of years, and my Archbishop (both of Wales, and of Canterbury) more recently. Rowan is a very Holy man. I think it would be hard for any who are in his presence to not be impressed by his calm, and spirituality. While showing Christs love through social liberalism, his theology is rather orthodox, as seen in his reaction to the unorthodox (some would say heretical) bishop Spong. His academic credentials are impecable, with numerous highly articulate works having been published, including a superb book on the Desert Fathers that I am working my way through at the moment. He was a founding member of Affirming Catholicism, and I am honoured to say that he confirmed me into the Church. Now this post has, I think no one could disagree, been filled by a constant stream of white upper class Liberals whose Leftist political credentials far exceed their spiritual ones. But surely this uniformity of white upper class twits isnt very diverse at all? Lets have a look at the current ABC, and the one that proceded him. Rowan was born in a middle class family, and went to a Grammer school. There, not upper-class. You can see above for his spiritual credentials, keeping in mind that Rowan almost became a monk, such is his spirituality. Rowan was proceded by George Carey, who was born in working-class London, and went to a secondary modern school. He's also a conservative evangelical. So how's about this. I have the perfect candidate for the next Archbish. He's Black, he's back and I think he's absolutely brilliant. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Archbishop Peter Akinola. Whilst the rest of the PC Priests are far concerned with Palestinian Solidarity and removing Israel from existence through economic boycott whilst in Nigeria Muslims burn churches and slaughter dozens of their fellow Christians, Mr Akinola is emphatically not fussed about slapping around the Joooooz. He's actually - gasp! - interested in the fate of oppressed Christians. This possibly makes him - uniquely - the only person in the Anglican hierarchy who may possibly be capable of halting or even reversing the Church's near-terminal decline. I don't think I need to comment on this bit. There have been troubles in Nigeria for a long time, and I hope and pray that they can be resolved in a peaceful and loving manner. Akinola seems to be a rather devisive force in the communion, falling out with various churches around the globe, and I feel that many of his comments have urged on Christian mobs to act in a most unchristian manner, burning over 80 people in the street. He most certainly should not become ABC. I'm really serious about this. I dont know how many of my readers are Anglicans or even Christians, and how many will just snigger at the idea. I'm most emphatically not a religious man, but I know plenty of people who are. So get onto your keyboards, break out those letter-writing kits, and send good old Rowan 'boycott the Joooooz' Williams a line. This line, to be precise. Rowan has clearly stated that the Church's actions are not a boycott on the State of Israel, and most certainly not on all of world Jewry. "You have betrayed every ideal our Church once stood for. Please have the decency to resign in favour of a man who hasn't." Pah! what a load of hogswash! Message ends.

Technorati Tag:


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?